Episode 5: Tech Musings + Outtakes – Part One
In Episode 5 of The Rebel Devs Podcast, Tom and Jonah discuss technology news and what you should read between the headlines.
- EU: Smartphones will need to have replaceable batteries by 2027
- All phones, including iPhones, released in the EU must have a battery the user can easily replace with no tools or expertise
- Phones will also need to become more recyclable as well as produced with a higher percentage of recycled materials
- This comes after several other “consumer friendly” laws, such as requiring Apple to replace lightning with USB C on future iPhones and warning them against limiting speeds of “uncertified” cables like they do today.
- Vivint security systems
- Buy it because it has ‘cool features’
- Cellular backup – admittedly pretty useful
- A lawsuit claims Google has been ‘secretly stealing everything ever created and shared on the internet by hundreds of millions of Americans’ to train its AI
- If the product is free, you are the product
- This likely isn’t just Google
- This is also why many companies, such as Reddit and Twitter, claim to be charging for their API usage now instead of offering it for free